Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The project that almost ended up in the scrap pile...

Have you ever been so mad at a project that you were about ready to take the scissors to it... and rip to shreds?  Well I had this great idea in my head for a sheer dress with a mermaid hem... spent hours on french seaming... and when it was done... I HATED IT!  The neck didn't want to lay right and the arm holes were to small... and it just made me want to scream...
 After couple days... I came back to it (with a heavy heart and plenty of sighing) Oh, those french seams wasted on a useless garment!  As I laid it cross the table... getting ready to toss it into the scraps... It came to me!  Don't let it go to waste... turn it into a skirt!   So I carefully lined up my seams... pinned them together...
 And took my scissor to that awful dress... It was very satisfying...
 Off came the top... and I felt some triumph as I threw it into the trash...
 I made a very simple casing for some wide elastic... and sewed it to the "skirt"...
 And now you'd never know that this wasn't what I had intended all along...

Not the best picture ever... but it does show the mermaid hem...

So, before you cast a failed project into the trash(along with all your time and effort)... See if you can repurpose it... you just might be surprised...
***Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment