Saturday, February 11, 2012

Using Hem Tape ... and How To Do a French Seam...

So... I am holding myself to my promise, and worked on a old (from the pile)project first... before I could do a new project... Here's what I worked on today...
 
Those of you that follow me, may remember this dress...  I absolutely love it, but my sensitive skin does not like the wool in the seam at my neck... So into the project bin it went until I came up with a solution...
  
Meet my solution... Fusible hem tape... This stuff is great!  After applied, you can wash and dry you garment as you normally would... I'm going to use it to apply a strip of fabric, to cover the scratchy seam... and it's no sew!

 

First I measured and cut out a strip of fabric that was slightly wider than the hem tape...
Then I peeled the hem tape away from the paper...


 Placing the hem tape where I wanted to start... I then covered it with my strip of fabric, and press with a hot iron... 

Continue laying out your hem tape with the fabric... and keep pressing until you come to the end...


Now I have an itch free seam... this silk will be much softer on my too sensitive skin...

 Now for the new project!
I have had this vintage panel of fabric for a long time... but being only 16" wide, it's never been big enough for the projects I've had in mind... While cleaning out my office I came across it again.
 This time I realized that it would be perfect for an infinity scarf...
Ever since my friend Maya made me one, I've been kind of obsessed... I'm kind of cheating, because I am not lining or hemming it( I like the selvedge edge)... However, I did use a French seam to connect the ends, because it might show... If you've never done a French Seam before, here's how...

First you start with wrong sides together...
Then using a 1/4inch seam(from the needle to the edge of my foot is a 1/4"... but I would measure this first before you stitch, because some machines can vary)... stitch seam together...

This is what it will look like on the right side...

Next fold along your seam so right sides of fabric are together... Sandwiching your seam on the inside...

Another view of the wrong side...

Now stitch a 3/8inch seam along your folded edge...


Your French Seam is complete!

Right side French Seam view...
French seams are great for any seam that is going to show... like on a hood, or for sheer fabrics... because the raw edge is encased on the inside...  This seam can replace any traditional seam called for in a pattern, if you are using a 5/8 seam...

Well I love my new scarf... I think it is perfect for the transition from winter to spring... 
Happy Sewing!
***Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! Love the fabric. Glad you caught the infinity craze!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete