Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Robot Birthday...

So... over the years I have kind of created a birthday party nightmare for myself... It started with my sons 2nd birthday...  (by that time we had gone to some fun birthday parties... all of which involved renting out someplace)  Not having the money to rent out a place, but wanting to do something fun for his birthday... I started to do themed parties for my kids... Here are a couple of my favorites...
Violet's Mad Hatter's tea party... 10th birthday

Noah's Lego Starwars party... they each made light
sabers with glow stick necklaces and clear PVC pipe...













I started making all of the decorations/party favors myself, because I knew I could do it on a budget... That quickly snowballed into also having a craft... And then since my daughter's birthday is in September, she somehow talked me into making costumes with the argument that they (because if she had one her brother needed one too!) ...could then re wear them for Halloween!  And me in my crafting crazed delirium... totally jumped on the bandwagon!!!!  Seriously... for the last 8yrs I've been doing this!  We've had some really fun parties... and I have thoroughly enjoyed every one... but now...I'm kind of burnt out... (no surprise) 

Well this year my son started talking about his birthday party with a question "Mom... If I had a sleepover this year, do I have to have as many people as Violet's (which was 10) did?"   I quickly answered no... to which he replied "Good... because hers was a little crazy!"  He then proceeded to tell me that he just wanted a couple of friends over to hang out and watch a movie...  Yes!!!! I'm finally over with the big parties...I have to admit I let out a sigh of relief...  Then two days before the sleepover... as we were driving home from school... he pipes up from the back seat... "Hey... Mom... what's the craft going to be at my party?"  Ah... crap...  I didn't think we were doing a craft... and when I shared that with him he immediately countered with the fact that Violet had a craft at her sleepover...
So... here is what I came up with in 24hrs... Taking inspiration from the movie he picked for the sleepover (Short Circuit) 
We went with a Robot theme... 

The goodie bags... I love brown paper
lunch bags...

In the goodie bags... a flashlight and 
pencil pouch(which FYI is the perfect size
 for a toothbrush that I also included)
Using my label maker I put their names on
everything, so there was no confusion after
they were opened... 


I made them work for the goodie bags... the boys had
to go hunting for pieces of this puzzle... 

They had to find all 25 pieces,
before they could put it together...
It was so funny watching them put
it together...
After they completed it... a message could be
 read on the back...



All of the decorations centered around the craft... I cut
gears out of poster board (2 for a $1 from the dollar tree)
and hung pre-made robots(from Micheal's clearanced for .79)


Pre-cut letters (from the Dollar Tree) and
robot stickers...  This sign pretty much made itself!
I rummaged through my recycling... and misc.
craft supplies... 
so they could make robots... 






It was quite a hit...


Of course no robot party would be complete without
a robot cake... which literally took two seconds
(pre made cake, pre made robot, and a little leftover garland) 







So... while I may be done with the big parties... And a double yay, that I didn't have to make costumes this year! ... I might not be quite done with the themes...   Michael's seriously saved my butt this year... they had all of the robot decorations that I used, and they were all on sale for $1 and under!... And of course my good old Dollar Tree for supplies...
Now, with that all behind me... I am interested to see what my daughter is going to want for her next party... she says that she just want to hang out at the mall with her friends... but we'll see...
***Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment