Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sew What! Day 3

Oh... man!  Did not get my hour in until 4:30pm today!  In any case I conquered Day 3 of the kids clothes challenge... largely because I cut out my next project last night, so I could just focus on sewing today... here is what I worked on...

This is a new pattern I bought at Joann's (I heard that collective gasp!  I do use new patterns sometimes too)
I decided to start the skirt first, because I knew I could get that done in an hour...

It turned out pretty cute...




Love the contrasting bias tape on the pocket...

Since I was putting in an elastic waistband I thought I would share with you my quick and easy way...
With the desired length of elastic... stitch ends together to form a circle(this is sewn on  with waist band already attached to skirt/pants, and in place of making a casing for the elastic.) Divide elastic into 1/4's.  Pin to the right side of the waistband... at the sides, and to the center front/back...



Pulling even with the fabric... zig zag the elastic to the the right side of the waistband...
 
Fold over elastic to the inside... you can then pin in place again...


Or, I had smaller elastic than the pattern called for, so I folded it over again to meet up with the waistband seam...
  

When you have the elastic pined in place, then you zig zag stitch on the outside... making sure to keep the elastic pulled taunt while stitching...

This is how the finished waistband looks from the outside...

And this is how it looks from the inside...

I really like doing elastic waistbands this way, because it keeps the elastic from turning inside of the casing...  Hope this is helpful for some of you!  See you on Day 4... I will be working on the match ing shirt...

P.S.  This is how Violet looked in her dress... very cute and cozy!  Don't let the serious face fool you... she loved the dress, but was taking her modeling very seriously...

No comments:

Post a Comment