Monday, October 10, 2011

Putting some Fall in my wordrobe...

My favorite part of the week is Friday... this is the day that I can unwind, enjoy a cup of coffee, and search for treasures...

This week I found a vintage velvet jacket... just in time for Fall...


I paid a whopping $6 for it... who says fashion has to be expensive?

   
The only thing I didn't like were the buttons... 
So I switched them out with some black vintage glass buttons...
Makeover complete... sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference!
***The second piece for Fall that I put in my wardrobe was a sweater vest...
I am in love with this seasons trend... layering lacy slips with sweaters...

I started with this vintage 70's pattern... 

 


I had just enough of this vintage sweater knit to cut out for the front...


But, I had to use this plain red sweater knit for the back...



  
To give more detail to the belt, I layered lace over green seam tape(on top of the red belt pieces) and then zigzag stitched it down... encasing the green tape down the middle...
 
After it was completed, I felt the belt was to bulky to tie... so I improvised a bow closure instead...

Snaps ensure it stays put...
 
I could not wait to wear this with my vintage slip(Grandma's)... paired with my beloved rain boots made it a fun and functional outfit... Love the mix of frilly and rugged... I've been known to be described as eclectic, but I don't mind if that means I get to have fun with my clothes... 

So, I challenge you to take look at your wardrobe this week... bring out those long forgotten slips, and layer them with sweaters...coats.. or over sized shirts.  Have a jacket or dress you never wear?  Try changing out the buttons, for a completely new look... I try every season to inventory what I have... sometimes it just takes seeing it in a different light, to make it new again...

1 comment:

  1. I do love this! The buttons really made a difference & you can't beat $6. I would totally take your challenge if I could fit my pregnant belly under a sweater vest!!

    ReplyDelete