Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Same Coat... Different Attitude...

As the cold weather is yielding to the warmth of summer... I am stuck in between... Craving the bright colors and less layers of summer clothes... but still not able can't give up my coat...  The dilemma?  My winter coat is muted and doesn't match my brighter more summery self...
I have loved and lived in this jacket all winter... Cut out of a vintage burgundy wool with red and blue pin striping...  and big snap closers...
Always game for changing up fabrics(as previously seen here)  I decided since I liked my wool coat so much... I should just make another one out of a lighter weight fabric... 
I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results...  I cut it out of chambray (since my practical self took over)... and used a vintage sheet for the lining...  The hip length option seemed more spring/summer to me and I used buttons instead of snaps... (you can see me it... at the end of this post)...  The only hesitation I had in recreating this jacket, was all the slip stitching the bottom of the lining required... Snore!  I HATE hand stitching...
So I decided to avoid it and sew the bottom together like any other seam, and left a little gap in the side of the lining...

By leaving a gap... I then could turn the jacket right side out by pulling it through the opening...

Perfect... and I didn't have to sew it by hand...
After it was right side out... I also pulled the sleeve and lining though the gap in the side... to machine stitch instead of slip stitch...

To do this is a little tricky, but just double check that the sleeves are not twisted... then pin right sides together...

The lining kind of folds back on itself... and that's how your able to pin all the way around...
After stitching your seam push it back through the gap... and now you have finished sleeves too! (the only slip stitching required... is stitching up the gap in the lining... easy...)






My new coat is just perfect for the change in seasons... It's fun how making simple changes... Can drastically change a garment...  Same coat... different attitude!  Happy Sewing! ***Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment