Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ode to the Muppets

So my kids have decided on characters from the Muppet Show... which I loved as a child and thanks to the Internet my kids do too...  since you can not find Muppet costumes in the stores...I of course had to pull it out of my bag of tricks... here's my inspiration, and what I came up with...  Doctor Teeth and Janice from The Electric Mayhem...

First I went to the local thrift shops and found this wonderfully ugly chenille sweater...





Then I cut off the sleeves (leaving the serged seam)... Pinning two strips of ribbon down the center front...



Stitched them in place...

Cutting open the center front... the ribbon acts as a facing (it will not fray past the ribbon edge)...


The vest is complete...
Now to make the hat...

Using this fun feather trim... I pinned it in an S shape to a piece of ribbon to make it look fuller (ribbon is the length of the hat circumference)...

Stitched onto the ribbon...


Pinned and then...
stitched to the inside brim...
 
Add a piece of trim for the beard...


 
With some feather's and more ribbon... the hat is done!
I found most of what I needed my for my daughter at the thrift store...
but Janice needs a hat too...


I pinned loops of yarn (the length I wanted)
to a piece of elastic...


Then stitched in place...


Overlapped the ends... and the hair is done...


Added a flower to the hat and she's complete!
I can't wait to put these on the kids!  We love Halloween... Seeing the different costumes, the candy (of course), and always ending our evening watching It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown... I encourage you to think out of the box for your costumes this year... It doesn't have to be spendy (I spent about $8.25 on my two)... just have fun!

I'll post their complete outfits as soon as I can get them to sit still!
*** Jennifer

***UPDATE***
Here they are in their costumes...

No comments:

Post a Comment