Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring Purse...

A few weeks back... I saw this bag on Pinterest...
Crochet purse - must make!
And knew it had to be my purse for spring...(click here for Bend Beanies free pattern)
I of course made a few modifications...  It needed to be bigger, so I added 20 increase rows to both ends...
After I finished crocheting the body of the bag... I wove 1inch strips of vintage fabric along the top...
Here is how I started(secured) each woven row(from the back side)...
1- cut a small slit in the end of your strip(you will thread your needle with the other end)
2- from the backside insert your needle where you want to start your row... and come back through... placing the silt end of your strip on the needle...
3- pull needle through the slit in the fabric... until the end is snug up against the backside of your work... now you can start weaving...
I also used the fabric strips to crochet matching flowers...
After I wove in the strips, added the flowers, and finished the straps... I cut out lining for the inside of the purse.  To do this, I pinned the front and back together... and after getting it as flat as possible traced the shape onto the fabric... then I added a half inch seam allowance on all sides...
I also added a big inside pocket... to hold all of the loose stuff that otherwise ends up on the bottom and is hard to find...

Then came the not so fun part... pinning and hand sewing the lining in place... Make sure you clip the curved edges... It will make your life easier...
I love the end result!
I am glad I made it bigger...
I tend to lug a lot of stuff around...


Now I'm ready for spring!
Happy Crafting!
***Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment