Sunday, December 30, 2012

Broom Stick Cowl... How To...

A couple years ago I taught myself how to knit... and I have been addicted ever since!  Although my projects don't always make it to my blog, you can sneak a peek here, here, and here...  Recently, I picked up a crochet hook... and we've become fast friends... It is so much faster than knitting!  Over the last two months I have crocheted many gifts for Christmas(given away to fast for pics).  Now, I believe it is my turn to make something for myself!
Using a broom stick lace stitch.. and scrap yarn... I quickly made up this cowl...  Soooo cozy!!!
Here is my pattern (and broom stick stitch how to)if you want to create your own...
I used a size N crochet hook
Chain 37(bulk yarn)
or
Chain 73(worsted weight)
Row1- insert hook into second chain from hook, wrap yarn around three times, pull through stitch(chain) and leave on hook... repeat to end of row... Then slip all stitches off of your hook(see in pictures below), flip work so you can continue from the right side.
Row2- slip first four loops(stitches) onto your hook, work four single crochet stitches around the 4loops, pick up four more loops...and repeat to end of row... chain 1 and turn over work. (pics below)
Row3- work 1 single crochet in each stitch... repeat to end of row... chain 1 and turn over work.
***Repeat these 3rows until you have 18rows, or desired length... stitch ends together...
This pattern can be bigger or smaller depending on what size hook you use... to create different textures I crocheted 2stitches of a thinner yarn(gray yarn) into one of the bulky stitches(cream and black).
The width can also vary, as long as your number of stitches can be divided by 4...
 
Here is the broomstick lace crochet how to...

 Insert hook into stitch...
 Wrap yarn around three times...
 Pull wraps back through the stitch...
 Leave these wraps on your hook until you come to the end of your row...

 Slip loops(wraps) off of your hook...
 Turn work so you can continue from the right side...
 Slip four loops onto your hook...
 Work four single crochet stitches onto those loops...
 Pick up four more loops and repeat...
 Continue to the end of your row... chain 1 and turn your work...
Work 1 row of single chain crochet...
These three rows make up the broomstick lace... repeat until you've reached the desired length... remember to chain 1 in between rows...

Hopefully that helps...
Happy Crocheting!
***Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment