Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Another Project For Your Scraps... Sunglasses case...

So... after making those headbands the other day... It got me thinking... What else can I make from my scraps?  Hmm...
Oh wait!  I know sunglasses case... I had been thinking about this the other day as I put on my sunnys, and noticed yet another scratch...  I've totally jumped on the big sunglasses kick, and I find the cases for them bulky... and ugly...  There for, they've gone unprotected until now...
Here's how I made it...

I started off with a 7 3/4" X 8 1/2" piece of fabric...
(which I did cover with iron-on vinyl... but not necessary)
I also cut a 2" X 8 1/2" strip of fabric...

This will be made into bias tape...
To make the bias tape... place fabric right side down... fold both sides into the center a 1/2" and press with your iron...
With sides still folded... fold strip in half... and press again...
Pin your bias tape to the top of the shorter side (7 3/4" this is your width) 
***Tip... if you are using the iron-on vinyl, you'll want to place your pins with in the seam allowance otherwise you will make holes that will be seen in the vinyl...

With a fine zig zag stitch... stitch your bias tape in place...
Ta..Da!  Your almost done...
***Tip... I always have my bias tape hang over the ends a little bit.  After trial and error, I found having this starting point when doing a decorative stitch... gives me a much nicer finished look...
Now, fold in half...with right sides of fabric together.  Using a 1/4" seam allowance stitch down the length... and across the bottom... Clip corners...
Turn back out to the right side, and your done...Sew simple!  (Yep I went there... still finding it funny)  
This project was for sure, done, from start to finish in under an hour...
***Tip if you did use the iron-on vinyl... don't freak out when it gets creased and wrinkly while your trying to fold it back out to the right side.  All marks will go away completely, if you run your iron over it once more... just don't forget to cover it with the paper first...

For fun here is a picture of me wearing my over sized sunnys...  
Happy Sewing!
***Jennifer

Ps. I've posted a few others I made on the Creating Bits of Envy Flickr Group... Check it out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment