Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hidden Treasures...

After a tiring day, as I walked down the hallway of my home...drawn to the sun streaming in through my studio windows... lifting my spirits, even though I felt like I didn't want to lift a finger...  Sitting my weary body in my sewing chair(or better put... My Thinking Chair)... I thoughtfully gazed at my wall of neatly folded vintage fabric.(hopefully I am not the only one that finds this a peaceful way to unwind) I thought about what I'd like to work on next... maybe a shirt?... No... I'm thinking maybe a dress...  As I looked through my stock pile for something with enough yardage... I pulled out this...

I found this fabric at Saint Vincent's for $1.99 at least five years ago.  When I bought it I remember thinking it was OK...  but, nothing special...  With over 3yards I couldn't pass it up though.  I don't often come across vintage knits.  So, home it went... and after being washed and dried... it's been sitting unassumingly on the shelf...

As I opened it up to look for flaws... my eyes were drawn to the salvage edge...
I could not believe what I was reading... My heart skipped a beat as I realized that  Diane Von Furstenberg signature was staring back at me!  How had I missed this?  A quick google search told me that, while I didn't find the exact print,  I did find a 1970's Vogue pattern ad... featuring one of her dresses and knit fabric that she designed for the collection (that was similar to what I had)...  So cool!
There was a part of me... after finding out this information... that wanted to fold this fabric back up, and hoard it away...  I can't actually cut something out of this... can I?  And then my reasonable self took over... Of course I should use it... Isn't that what she designed it for?  I'm sure she would get a kick out of my excitement...  And I can't enjoy it if it's secreted away... So in honor of Diane Von Furstenberg(who made the wrap dress a staple, and designs clothes that gives the allure of effortless beauty) ... I am definitely making a dress out of this fabric! 

Here's what I think I'll try... I haven't watched the show yet(Fashion Star), but this pattern caught my eye...  I think it's a perfect match up...
Who knew... that I had this hidden treasure?  I am super exited!!!  I'm to tired to start it tonight, but I will post my dress when It's completed...  What a great way to end my day...
Doesn't this make you wonder what treasures are hiding in your house?
Happy Hunting!
***Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment