Monday, November 26, 2012

Paper Chain... Part 1

One of my favorite decorations for Christmas are paper chains...  I love the simplicity, and they always make me feel a little nostalgic...  I have been wanting to make some for a while now... And finally got around to it... 
I wanted the paper chain to last... so I used Mod Podge with a gloss finish, some recycled cereal boxes(to give them some stability), and scraps of wrapping paper...
First cover your surface with the Mod Podge... then start layering the pieces of paper... the more torn the better... This is a great way to get rid of all of the radoms bits of paper we save "to use later".   I also used some pages from an old book... Make sure to get Mod Podge on the underside on any overlapping  sections also, or there will be a bubble there when it drys...
Next go over the entire work with a coat of Mod Podge...
After your work is dried... cut into strips... I made mine an 1 1/4 inch wide, and the length of the cereal box(minus flaps)...
I wanted my paper chain to be double sided(the chain at the top of the page is single sided, with the plain cardboard showing on the other side)... 
To make them double sided I just folded the strip in half, leaving one end a little bit longer... glue fold together with hot glue...
While the glue is still hot... form the strip into a circle shape...
Then add hot glue to the tab on the end...
Bring the folded edge in, and place it on top of the tab... hold in place for a second while the glue hardens... and you've got your first chain...
Keep chaining strips together until it's the desired length...
Such fun!
***Jennifer
P.S.  Save any scraps you have leftover from your Mod Podge strips, because they make great gift tags too!  Just hole punch the top... and add some jute or ribbon...

No comments:

Post a Comment